Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Recuperation.

I'm holed up away from the world with a stack of books, fresh air, and lots of quiet. I'll get the results of the success of my surgical procedure later this week. I'm trying not to think about it. I am however reading more about macrobiotic principles and healing with food. I do not want to have to go through this again if I can help it, and thousands of people who have beat disease using diet give me hope that I can get better and stay that way by simply adjusting my lifestyle away from foods that inhibit or distract the immune system from it's primary job: keeping me healthy and whole.
I've read a little more on nightshade vegetables, and I'm still not wholly convinced that they're all bad. Tomatoes, at least organic locally grown heirloom varieties, do not seem to have too many detrimental effects when eaten in season and sparingly. Peppers on the other hand seem to have several compounds than can interfere with the factors in white blood cells that attack and destroy tissue that is abnormal. So for now, no peppers for me. Potatoes also seem to be mostly alright in moderation and in season as long as they are stored away from light and do not develop sprouts or any green pigment. The chemicals in the developing eyes is fairly toxic, even when cooked. Eggplants are proving elusive, I can't find any specific information on them, but again, in season and local in moderation may be alright.

No comments: