Friday, September 2, 2011

What goes up, must come down.

After my surgery last week, I received a letter telling me that my dysplasia was severe, but there was no cancer detected. I celebrated by allowing myself a small bit of white flour here, a lil snifter of excellent local pear brandy there, but still being mostly good. I was so very elated not to have the "C" word hanging over my head. Today I went in for my followup exam.

I left more than a little deflated. The dysplasia had spread. She took another biopsy, and that also does not show cancer, but my doctor was concerned. Today she said the words "oncologist" and "if you were over 50 I'd recommend a hysterectomy." Basically she thinks that this is not over. In six months I have an appointment for another biopsy. If the condition has not gotten better or (and here I shudder) gotten worse, I will be sent to the oncologist for further treatment.

I'm trying not to see this as a setback, basically this just means that I will be trying my best to stick to the healing phase of the Macrobiotic diet. I have begun looking for a macro counselor or a weekend program here on the West Coast. I stopped at Uwajimaya and got ume plum paste and vinegar, hijiki, some veggies, and a new wok to replace my teflon coated one for a little retail therapy and motivation.  Then I stopped at Powell's and got my own copies of the macrobiotics books I had checked out from the library. Onward and upward? 




No comments: