Thursday, July 12, 2012

Hiccups and finding my stride.

Well It's been nearly nine months since my surgery. I had my second biopsy a few months ago. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. My mutation spread, but isn't really doing much at the moment. I have an oncologist now. We have a "battle plan." It consists of watch and wait, we're all stealth vs. shock-and-awe. I like that. Cancer ninjas. I struggle some days, some days I can actually forget what it feels like to be a cancer chick. I have another test to schedule next month? Awesome. *insert wryface*

On dealing:

Cancer or "not not cancer" is not sexy. Who wants a sick chick laying around on their couch resting? No! They want a happy, sexy, tough biologist (or insert whatever occupation/identifier you choose) chick. I'd like to think I'm a mostly happy, sexy cancer biologist chick. I did not feel sexy on the Macro diet. I cooked two hours a day at least, and had to drive out of my way to get the proper ingredients for eating. I felt trapped in my food, what's healing about that?? I stopped really following the macro principles. I still ate mostly only whole foods, grains and veggies, or as I usually put it, twigs and berries, but it was sporadic and definitely not balanced. I stayed sick and tired. My immune system still not working the way it should. Systemic fungal infections, still with the occasional crazy skin rashes, fatigue, and general moodiness.

Enter Kris Carr: My awesome and very sexy friend Sarah suggested I read Kris Carr's book "Crazy, Sexy Diet." I picked it up from the library and discovered that she also wrote a book on cancer: "Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips." I checked them both out and immediately started tweaking my ideas about food, and cancer, a bit. This lady has done her research. She, like me, started out going Macro to try to get well and came to the same place with it. Then she encountered the Hippocrates Health Institute and became a self-labeled "healing junkie." I've no plans to go all out like she did, (Wheatgrass enema? No thanks!) but I've started having green smoothies for breakfast instead of coffee. For a week now, I've not had morning caffeine and no withdrawal headaches. (Oh, yeah, I fell of the latte cart, too.) I feel mostly good, better than I have been definitely. That's the goal: Feel good, be healthy.


No comments: